Saturday, November 22, 2014

Mad Props for McAdams

Every once in a while you read something and remember why you fell in love with a particular author.  This just happened.  Molly McAdams has shown me once again, with her latest novel, just why I adore her.  Letting Go, the first Thatch book, is her latest release and it is almost beyond words.  Really, it was...but I'm going to try.

Grey and Jagger, the main characters, have been friends since childhood.  They know everything about each other and love each other to the moon and back.  Jagger has a fiercely protective attitude about him when it comes to his best friend, Grey.  Why wouldn't he be?  He's known her forever and he has gone through the same devastation and heartbreak that she has.  They've been there to support each other and lift each other up during tragedy.  Jagger is so patient, kind, loving, and seemingly unselfish with her that it creates this illusion of a fairy tale of sorts.  He is the prince that every girl is waiting for...maybe even Grey.

Letting Go weaves the most intricate, tangled web of relationships with so much depth and incredible amounts of heart built into each character.  It's been a long time since I've had a story move me like this one did.  I felt actual hurt in my chest as I was reading this because the characters were like friends that you only wanted to see happy things happen to.  Parts of me broke inside while I was reading and I was led to tears several times as well. That hasn't happened in who-knows-how-long.  Probably not since a Nicholas Sparks novel.  We all know how those go!

What I love about McAdams' writing is that her characters are so real.  The have real faults and behave and act like we all have in life.  They're easy to relate to because they could be our neighbors or friends from school or work, and she has a way of bringing them to life in such a magical way.  It's very admirable, really.  There are some good writers out there; there are some fantastic writers out there actually but not all of them are able to recreate human spirit  with the written word like McAdams.  For that I say "kudos."  

I'm not sure when the next novel by this exceedingly talented (and hilarious) writer will be out, as she just had a baby and I'm sure she is keeping her very busy.  Hopefully not too busy though because I know I'm going to need another fix soon. Letting Go is easily one of my favorite reads for 2014 and I couldn't recommend it enough if you like a sweet, honest yet heart pulling romance.





No comments:

Post a Comment