Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Darkness Falls Flat

The Darkness Trilogy by author Abby Weeks consists of 3 separate titles, Tangled Rose, Tainted Rose, and Twisted Rose, all of which are full novels. Although the synopsis of the first book, and those following, all contain the same warning: 

Warning! This book contains triggers that some readers will find distressing. It is not for the faint of heart.

I clearly didn't take it seriously enough, or simply didn't understand what I was getting myself into when I started to read.

This is a tale of a young lady named Rose who is kidnapped and held as a prisoner for several years.  She is not only abused physically, but also emotionally. She is treated as property, as an animal in fact.  What the men do to her is pure torture and Weeks spares no details in her writing of the humiliation and degradation that Rose endures while in captivity.

There were parts, while reading, that I wanted to shut off my iPad and forget this story.  I wanted to start reading something light and sweet where I didn't have to think about the atrocities that Rose went through.  Even though I know this is a fictional character, what she went through actually does happen in our world.  There's a huge sex slave industry and I kept thinking,while I was reading, about those who have gone missing, thinking about how they may have been kidnapped and sold into some lifestyle much like what this character had. So I kept reading, trudging through, hoping for something good to happen.  And then it finally does midway through the second book.  It took a long time to get to it though.

Throughout the second half of the second book, Tainted Rose and the entire third book, Rose fights for her life in more ways than one.  She fights for the father she lost, she fights for love.  The third book, Twisted Rose, was quite drawn out.  I honestly think the author could've cut the book in half and still conveyed the same message and spared me at least an hour of my life.  It was repetitive and boring and I found myself skipping through entire pages of what I found to be monotonous dribble.  She kept repeating the same things over and over and over and...well, you get the idea.  Then, sadly it just ended.  Like seriously worst ending ever!  I hated it and felt so let down and disappointed.  Yes, the story was mostly wrapped up but the abruptness of the ending was horrible and as a reader I deserved more!

Overall, the story was far more than I bargained for.  It was full of intense imagery and realistic violent situations.  It's categorized as a "dark romance" but I dare say that it's barely a romance.  The girl finds love but the majority of the story is graphic and violent, not at all what I would consider romance at all.  I've read a few other titles by Weeks and been pleased, so maybe this genre just wasn't my cup of tea.  With that being said, I'm hoping the next one I read by her redeems itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment