Monday, February 9, 2015

Breaking the Law

There are good books and there are good books.  I've been so lucky in the past couple of months to come across some amazingly wonderful books.  One such book is The Law of Moses by author, Amy Harmon.  This isn't her first publication, however, it is the first from her that I have read and I have to say it's an excellent one to begin with because now I'm really interested in reading more by this talented writer.


I decided to read this book for several reasons.  First, it was highly recommended in a Facebook group that I'm in.  Everyone kept going on and on and on about how wonderful it is and how everyone else "had to read it."  Second, just look at that cover! It's gorgeous!  I love the way that cover looks, all mysterious and full of secrets.  I love the color and the beauty of it all.  My third reason for wanting to read this book is simply because it would fulfill a reading challenge I'm doing for the year, so that was as good of reason as any, quite honestly.

I really knew nothing about the book except that it was highly acclaimed and had phenomenal reviews from readers.  I didn't really know the story, other than that I'd read a small excerpt which just happens to also be the very beginning of the book, in the prologue.

"If I tell you right up front, right in the beginning that I lost him, it will be easier for you to bear.  You will know it's coming, and it will hurt.  It will still make your chest ache and your stomach flip with dread.  But you'll know, and you'll be able to prepare.  And that's my gift to you.  I wasn't given that same courtesy.  I wasn't prepared."

How can you not read a book after that??

The Law of Moses is a beautiful love story that begins when the main characters, Georgia and Moses, are a mere seventeen and lasts years beyond that.  Despite time, distance and major life changes, one thing doesn't really change and that is the deep connection and love between Georgia and Moses.  Their relationship, however, isn't the typical romantic joining. There is a spiritual bonding between them, something so much deeper than the physical attraction that we usually see in novels. Harmon has a way of pulling the reader into this somewhat unusual plot and making the reader (or at least me) begging for more at the turn of each page, while still cautiously waiting for the other shoe to drop.

This book was simply amazing and I am honestly having a hard time putting into words how touching and moving this tale truly is.  It is full of so many lessons, so many truths, so much pure love.  I absolutely, without hesitation recommend it to anyone looking for a good read, but beware of tears because they will come.  And it will be so worth it!






No comments:

Post a Comment