Thursday, October 1, 2015

Initium...Confused!

WoW!  Well, after waiting and waiting and waiting some more for the continuation in Courtney Cole's Nocte trilogy (can we still call it that if there's really 4...even if it's a novella?), we have MORE of the story.  Well...sort of.  Kind of anyhow.  No, I'm not really sure.  Actually I'm quite confused.  

**Some minor content spoilage contained in this blog.  Nothing major, but if you're hardcore and don't like to know really anything, then you may want to skip this.



Let me start over.  You see, once upon a time, about a year ago, Cole released this fan-fucking-tastic novel called Nocte.  It was superb!  And I really truly mean that.  It was sweet and dark and twisted and left me questioning everything I thought I understood about the story.  I was so incredibly blown away by the mystery of this story and it reverberated with me.  I kept thinking about it over and over, day after day.  Calla and Dare and Finn are such complex and amazing characters with so many, many layers!




Lucky for me, I didn't have to wait too long before Cole released her follow up to Nocte, entitled Verum.  I was so excited to read this one since I'd fallen in love with the first one, thinking that all my confusion, all my questions would be answered.  That was where I was wrong.  Dead wrong.  This book left me so much more confused and questioning my own sanity at times.  It was brilliant...but so...ugh!  It was so frustratingly mind bending.  To make it worse, I read this in February of this year and the estimated release date of the final book in the trilogy was not for another 6 months.  I honestly thought that I would go nuts waiting- that's how much my mind was wrapped up in this story.





Which brings us basically current, to September when I woke up one day and go on the ol' inter webs and found out that a new #2.5 novella had been released since the final book in the series had been pushed back .  Again, I was beside myself with utter joy and happiness, again thinking that finally this continuation of the story will start wrapping up and all these crazy loose ends will begin making sense.  I downloaded the newest book in the series/trilogy, which is called Initium.  Well, you know how they say "Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me?"  Well, this book nerd is the biggest fool of them all! What I found inside the pages of Initium was a complete and total mind fuck.  Pardon the language but that's the only way I can even think to describe how I felt after reading it.  First, it isn't so much of a continuation of the story, rather it goes back in time.  Way, way back in time and tells the story of Dare's mother, 21 years earlier.  

The entire time I was reading I kept thinking "who is really the insane one here?"  This story has me questioning myself at times and I can't even figure out what's real and what's not any longer.  I have NO idea if Finn is alive or if he's even real.  I'm starting to question if Calla is real and maybe all of this is really a hallucination of Dare.  I have a lot of theories but I'm guessing not a single one is on the money though because Cole is masterfully weaving this amazingly complex storyline.  .

This is an amazing series/trilogy and is not what I expected in the least when I first started it. That's not a bad thing though.  In fact sometime books (series'/trilogies) like this end up being my favorites.  Not to mention that whoever designed these covers is pure genius too. They are absolutely gorgeous--hands down some of my favorite covers EVER!  I seriously, seriously am sitting on pins and needles waiting for the final conclusion to this story in Lux


No comments:

Post a Comment